For those of you who have a Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis done at your weekly nutrition visits; remember this is what we are keeping an eye on….
- This pictures helps to depict what should improve and that which should go down.
To understand more about a Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis, watch Dr. Woodbury’s Video HERE.
The Diabetes Prevention Program, a major clinical research study, found that losing just 5-7% of initial body weight and adding regular physical activity kept 6 out of 10 people at risk for type 2 diabetes from developing the disease.
What does a 5-7% weight loss mean for you?
Source: TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly); “Take Control of Diabetes with TOPS” pamphlet
Our nutritionist at Healthy Steps were impressed with an article written by Authority Nutrition (author Kris Gunnars). The article discusses “15 THINGS THAT EVERYONE NEEDS TO KNOW ABOUT NUTRITION”. Click on the link below for the whole article and further details. This could really make a difference on how you impact your body’s health!
1) Refined and processed oils are extremely unhealthy
2) Meat does not decay in your colon
3) Everywhere the Western diet goes, disease follows
4) Many nutrition studies reported by the media are incorrect
5) “Natural” doesn’t necessarily mean “healthy”
6) Fat doesn’t make you fat
7) Carbs don’t make you fat
8) Protein is the most important macronutrient to lose weight
9) Sugar is a disaster…and sugar-sweetened beverages are the worst
10) The best way of eating for YOU is a diet that you can stick to
11) Dietary cholesterol and saturated fat are not harmful
12) Never trust what manufacturers put on the label
13) Calorie count, but you don’t necessarily need to count them to succeed
14) If it’s labeled “no fat” or “low fat” then it’s probably bad for you
15) Real food is the key to good health, processed junk food is not
HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!
As a healthy dessert option on this holiday weekend our nutritionists are recommending this festive dessert:
¼ cup Red berries (Raspberry, Strawberry, etc.)
¼ cup Blueberries
¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
1 Tbs honey (optional)
squeeze of lime juice
*Mix yogurt, honey and lime juice together. Place over berries and enjoy!
Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps
2 tsp olive oil
1 1/4 pounds ground turkey
1 small yellow onion
2 cloves garlic, peeled
½ cup packed fresh cilantro
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from about 2 limes)
1/2 cup green salsa
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup chicken stock
1-2 heads of butter lettuce
diced avocado and tomatoes for garnish
In a food processor or blender, add onion, garlic, cilantro, lime juice and green salsa. Pulse until a smooth salsa consistency is reached; set aside.
In sauté pan, heat olive oil to a medium heat. Add the ground turkey and cook 5-8 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt.
Add the salsa mixture to the turkey and continue to cook until turkey is fully cooked through, about 5 minutes more. Add chicken stock, turn heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
Turn heat off and let turkey mixture sit while you prepare the lettuce cups.
Tear off large pieces of lettuce that are big enough to hold about 1/3 cup of ground turkey. Top each lettuce cup with diced tomato, avocado and cilantro.
Wouldn’t you love to WALK WITH YOUR DOC?? Well with the Healthy Steps Lifestyle Center you can!
SIGN UP TODAY –IT’S FREE!
Join Dr. Robert Woodbury and Nutritionist Ashley at Spring Lake on 5/29/14 @ 5:30pm
*Call to reserve your spot! 707-546-7900