me•tab•o•lism noun \mə-ˈta-bə-ˌli-zəm\ : the process by which the body converts food to energy at the cellular level.
Healthy Steps Metabolic Weight Loss Program
Obesity is now an epidemic with an estimated 2/3 of adults in the U.S. overweight or obese. Even more alarming is the rise in childhood obesity. Those with a body mass index over 30 have a 70% increase in coronary artery disease, a 75% increase in stroke, a 400% increase in diabetes, and up to 55% increase in mortality.
While weight loss surgery is an excellent option for those suffering from morbid obesity, a growing majority of people today have been diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome (click here for a definition).
At Healthy Steps Therapeutic Lifestyle Center, our goal is to help you integrate the key lifestyle changes recommended by leading health organizations, including the National Institutes of Health and American Heart Association — and take control of your metabolism once and for all!
Our Therapeutic Lifestyle Program is focused on the following:
- Physician Oversight as needed by our Medical Director, Dr. Robert Woodbury along with a nurse practitioner in conjunction with your regular physician.
- Nutritional Counseling – Individual one-on-one nutritional counseling throughout program with tailored calorie-specific low glycemic, Mediterranean-style meal plans. Calories will be adjusted for changes in activity as your begin to feel great! You will not be hungry during this program.
- Electronic Measurement of Body Composition to determine that your weight is being lost from fat mass (not lean muscle tissue) and that your fluid levels are optimum for healthy weight loss (no dehydration!)
- Supplements and Medical Food – The optimum combination of quality supplements along with Medical Food in the form of great tasting powder and bars. When added to your daily meal plans, will help stabilize your blood glucose, regulate your body’s production of insulin and allow your metabolism to start burning fat efficiently!
- Comprehensive Lifestyle coaching.
- Exercise counseling to fit your lifestyle. We’ve reviewed many local facilities and programs and can help you choose the exercise program that will work for you and your busy schedule.
You will have the tools needed to take control of your metabolism and weight along with the knowledge to continue for the rest of your life, ultimately eliminating fad diets and weight fluctuations.
Extensive research1shows that making positive lifestyle changes can improve the following diseases:
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Type 2 diabetes
- Cardiovascular disease
- Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis
- Conditions related to aging
Learn more about changing your life today with our lifestyle modification program!
Metabolic syndrome represents a group of risk factors that, when present together, increase the risk for coronary artery disease, stroke, and type-2 diabetes. It is so prevalent in our society today (1 in 5 adults) that we see weight loss promises advertised at every turn.
According to the American Heart Association and the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, metabolic syndrome occurs when you have three of more of the following signs:
- Blood pressure equal to or higher than 130/85 mmHg
- Fasting blood sugar (glucose) equal to or higher than 100 mg/dL
- Large waist circumference
- Men – 40 inches or more
- Women – 35 inches or more
- Low HDL cholesterol:
- Men – under 40 mg/dL
- Women – under 50 mg/dL
- Triglycerides equal to or higher than 150 mg/dL
Fighting these Danger Signs:
We offer a comprehensive Therapeutic Lifestyle Program that is designed to fight metabolic syndrome at its core.
During the intake phase we will do an assessment to determine if you have Metabolic Syndrome. If so, we can order or review your recent standard lab work at the beginning and again at the end of your program. You will learn the necessary steps to address and eliminate metabolic syndrome throughout your Therapeutic Lilfestyle Program. The habits you will form will allow you to fight disease and live a healthier life.
Learn more about our Therapeutic Lifestyle Program that specifically addresses metabolic syndrome through therapeutic lifestyle changes and education. Call us for a complementary consultation.